This week again, our schedule will be packed with classical music, with Montreal International Music Competition which begins tomorrow, May 31, and the OSM which opens its doors to the public for its ninth rehearsal of Beethoven, which will be performed four times in concert, not to mention a visit by the conductor Natalie Stoltzman In theMetropolitan OrchestraSaturday. Here are our editors’ picks, from May 30 to June 4, 2022.
Montreal International Music Competition: First Rounds and Semi-Finals
CMIM, which will run this year until June 9, will begin tomorrow at Bourgie Hall with the first rounds of the Voice 2022 edition. Several Canadian candidates are in the competition this year, including Rose Naggar-Tremblay, winner of OSM 2021 competition, Hugo Laporte, baritone Already known for his various roles in our opera companies, Lauren Margeson, Sophie Neubert and Anna Sophie Near.
The order of appearance of the candidates is determined by lot. Here is the schedule of events presented this week:
- First round, song section (Rose Najjar Tremblay, contralto; Sophie Nobert, soprano; In Ho-jeong, bass; Sunwoo Lee, soprano; Natalie Image, soprano; Jehoon Son, tenor; Caroline Podolak, soprano; Deepa Johnny, miso soprano; Joseung Gabriel Park, bass baritone; Dania El-Zein, soprano; Nils Wanderer, contranor. May 31, 2 p.m., Borghi Hall.
- First round, melody section (Michael Lafferty, baritone; Alexandra Fludd, soprano; Jonah Spongin, baritone; Monica Mazanca, baritone; Brian Murray, baritone; Vivian Yao, soprano). May 31, 7:30 p.m., Porgy Hall.
- First round, song section (Xueli Zhou, soprano; Valerie Eckhoff, mezzo-soprano; Hugo Laporte, baritone; Simon McIntosh, mezzo-soprano; Anna-Sophie Near, soprano; Lauren Margesson, soprano; Wladislav Boyalsky, Bray, Sarah Dufors baritone) June 1, 2 p.m., Borghi Hall.
- First round, melody section (Harriet Burns, soprano; Deepa Johnny, mezzo-soprano; Chauhan Sun, tenor; Meredith Woolgemouth, soprano; Arvid Vagervial, baritone; Ida Antola, soprano). June 1, 7:30 p.m., Porgy Hall.
- semi-final, melody (6 competitors): June 3, 7:30 p.m., Porgy Hall.
- epilogue, melody (3 competitors): June 5, 2 p.m., Borghi Hall.
Buy tickets for the Montreal International Music Competition
OSM: ninth victor to end the season
Montreal Symphony Orchestra Ends the 2022-2023 season in style with Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, and two works by Brahms for chorus and orchestra, namely nani And the chicles slide [Chant du destin]Under the supervision of Rafael Bayer.
On the 31st, in the morning, the public rehearsal will be open to the public from $35, an event whose funds will be donated to the Red Cross to support Ukraine. May 31, 10 a.m., Maison Symphonic. Details and tickets
Concerts: May 31, 7:30 p.m., June 1, 7:30 p.m., June 2, 7:30 p.m., June 3, 7:30 p.m. Details and tickets
Soloists: Frédéric Anton, Tenor, Karina Goffin, Soprano, Sophie Harmsen, Mezzo-soprano, Ryan Speedo-Green, bass. The OSM Choir was set up by Philip Burke to replace Andrew Miguel.
Don’t miss out on Annabelle Renzo’s website at In the eye of the dragon
Businessman and guitarist Annabel RenzoFounder purity of soundwill be a competitor to the show In the eye of the dragon, Wednesday, at eight in the evening, to present his business project to the famous “Dragon” investors. On ICI-Radio-Canada, June 1, 8 p.m.
The Classica Festival This week continues with several parties:
- Kanti Amorose: Madrigal by Monteverde with Vocal Arts Ensemble – Quebec, under the direction of Mathias Maut. May 31, 7:30 p.m., St. Lambert Catholic Diocese. Details and tickets
- Rossini’s Small Festive Masswith the Arts Quebec Vocal Ensemble, under the direction of Mathias Maut. June 3, 6:30 p.m., St. Lambert Catholic Diocese. Details and tickets
- Basta Parlar! Italian Baroque music with Vincent Loeser (recorder), Marie Nadeau Tremblay (violin baroque), Tristan Best (Viola da Gamba), Antoine Mallet Chenier (baroque ukulele) and Hank Knox (Ukulele). June 3, 9 p.m., St. Lambert Catholic Diocese. Details and tickets
- Canzonne di notete. Soprano Marianne Lambert shares the stage with Valerie Melot (harp) and gives a concert that combines beautiful melodies by Rossini, Donizetti, Bellini, Sgampati, Mozart and Schubert. June 4 at 2 p.m., St. Lambert Catholic Diocese. Details and tickets
- Women. Gino Quilico is pleased to present a show composed of beautiful love songs that have marked the musical universe and touched our hearts. June 4, 7:30 p.m., St. Lambert Catholic Diocese. Details and tickets
- Four Seasons Vivaldi rewritten by Max Richter. Written in 2012 Max Richter, Composer for classical and contemporary electronic music, this work in 13 movements pays homage to Vivaldi’s four seasons. His “post-classical” style is inspired by electronic music, psychedelic punk and rock. Performed by the violinist Mark Djokic and themonterrey chamber orchestraThis work will transport you to a world rich in colors and emotions. June 5 at 2 p.m., St. Lambert Catholic Diocese. Details and tickets
- Vesbro Della Piata Virgin, with Ensemble Caprice, Ensemble Arts Vocal Quebec, Myriam Leblanc, Antonio Figueroa and Nils Brown. June 5, 7:30 p.m., Sainte-Famille de Boucherville Church. Details and tickets
Stella Musica Festival
Once again for season seven, Stella Musica FestivalUnder the technical guidance of its founder Katarzina Musical, It aims to enhance the position of women in music. Opening of the festival, an intimate concert featuring the Duo Fortin-Poirier with a program called “Nuit Blanche”. June 3, 7 p.m., Ken’s Experience Room. Details and tickets
A rising star in the Orchester Métropolitain
French Chef Natalie Stutzman, who is also a contralto, will take over as musical director of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra next season, becoming the second woman to conduct a major American orchestra after Marine Allsopp. She has also been the lead guest speaker for the Philadelphia Orchestra since this year, among others. For her debut with the Orchester Métropolitain, she conducted Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 6 and Violin Concerto No. 2 by Prokofiev. soloist: Daniel Lozakovic. June 4, 7:30 p.m., Maison Symphonic. Details and tickets
Quartum in a hammock
purity of sound Presenting the party Quartum in a hammock, in a suspended loft. authorized AppointmentTheir concert is all about romantic relationships. epic and tragic love with Handel; Love that sometimes puts on a pedestal and hurts more when not more, with Sirton. Vacuum separation from the Queen. The Different Stages of a Romantic Relationship with Mozart and the Beatles. Very romantic love with Mendelssohn and Frida Pokhara. Obscene love with Paulink. The calm that that time brings to a relationship with Les vieux amants de Brel. Finally, fate or chance, which largely determine our relationship with it Carmina Burana by Orff. June 4, 8 p.m., in a suspended loft on Sérénité sonore, rue Mason. Details and tickets