After the metaverse for everyone comes the kids metaverse which does not lack in advantages as well as disadvantages. Some companies are starting to position themselves as the provider of the best virtual facts for kids. Sure, their initiatives are commendable, but we are not unaware that this universe has its share of dangers. Raising awareness of shared responsibility, between parents and promoters of children’s metaverses, is one of the goals of this article.
Invented by “Snow Crash” (1992) author Neal Stephenson, “metaverse” refers to a virtual reality environment. Since it is connected to the Internet, you can therefore access it anywhere and anytime from a computer or smartphone.
There are some similarities between the metaverse we currently know and those imagined by Stevenson. However, the mixture of online virtual worlds that serve as environmental care still in its infancy. But that hasn’t stopped people and companies from getting caught up in the metaverse, even if only Buy virtual real estate, play games or even train soldiers.
Representing metaverses for children Endless possibilities from :
- Learn new skills
- play online games alone or with friends;
- Take virtual courses on educational platforms;
Here, we can cite the example of Minecraft that introduced some concepts of culture to children through appropriate learning environments. Soon, Epic Games and LEGO duo will be a hit with youngsters.
However, the baby metaverse He has his flaws. For reference only:
- cyber bullying;
- The spread of inappropriate content.
So parents and educators had to help the little ones safely navigate children’s metavarse.
Some experts seem unimpressed about the impact of the metaverse on the child. Previously, Social networks have been hit by a lot of disasters : Depression, self-harm, mental health problems, etc. The Kid Metaverse might be worse than them.
However, a University of Southern California study on gambling showed the opposite of these claims. In fact, it states that Games and virtual reality enhance empathy, and have a positive impact on mental health. Provided that they are used correctly of course.
The only problem, however, is that companies that have neglected the security of users again seem to be in the metaverse. It is very likely that these same actors will continue their old practices in this new virtual reality. And hello to loneliness, the massive influx of dangerous content… and why not commit suicide.
Baby metaverse starts Many advantagesTo find out:
- grasping abstract concepts in an engaging way;
- Access to near real work experience to help children better understand their environment and how it works;
- improve children’s social skills;
- Provide a safe and controlled environment for interaction and friendship formation;
- the presence of a starting point for creativity and the development of social intelligence of children;
- metaverse as a source of amusement;
- bonding between parents and children;
However, it is up to the parents to be aware of the potential risks and they have to Take the necessary measures to ensure the safety of their offspring. In this way, the children’s metaverse will become an ideal place for children to explore and learn.
Sure, the metaverse for kids has its strengths, but it also has weak points. We will cite in particular the following:
- cyberbullying (often a source of child harassment);
- The issue of lack of confidentiality and privacy;
- Inappropriate content (violence, sexual content, hate speech, etc.);
- create dependency in the child due to their highly immersive and involved nature;
- Physiological and physical risks associated with the metaverse for children due to extensive use of VR headsets (dizziness, nausea, headache, etc.);
- unequal access which will create educational disadvantage for the less affluent;
To make this effective, Parents are advised to closely monitor their children’s activities in the metaverse. So here are some things to keep in mind:
- acute monitoring of their online activities, and what they see and do in the children’s metaverse;
- predefine rules and create clear directives for metaverse usage (even if that means refining them later);
- Advice on how to act when interacting with other people once online (including encouraging them to be polite and considerate);
- assistance in the optimal management of the time allotted to the virtual world and the real world;
Moreover , Manufacturers and companies bear their share of responsibility. Admittedly, it is an illusion to expect too much from them, but they will have to consider the following criteria:
- Edit content
- Reporting and suppressing misconduct, with clear mechanisms in place to deal with such reports;
- Design suitable virtual reality devices and metaverse systems for children’s comfort and well-being;
- integrate antivirus software (including but not limited to password protection and encryption) into children’s virtual reality devices and metaverse platforms;
When we talk about children and about children, we cannot escape the issue of protection and parental responsibility. However, this responsibility must be shared with technology companies. Because by neglecting the risks kids have on their platform, while using their devices, they are surely going to lose customers.
Get a summary of the news in the cryptocurrency world by subscribing to our new daily and weekly newsletter so you don’t miss any of the Cointribune essentials!
The blockchain and crypto revolution is underway! And on the day when you will feel the effects on the most vulnerable economy in this world, despite all hope, I will say that I have something to do about it