“I didn’t know how to protect my kids from a piece of pizza”

5 and 10 year olds O’Reilly and John became seriously ill, poisoned by E. coli bacteria after eating a pitoni pizza. certificate.

O’Reilly, 34, and husband John, 40, drove ‘Ordinary family life’. Everything was turned upside down when their two sons became seriously ill, poisoned with E. coli bacteria via Bitoni’s Pizza, a brand of food giant Nestlé.

With the parents of about fifty other children with kidney failure associated with E. coli contamination, this couple from Herault filed a complaint. For this“No kid ends up in the hospital for a simple piece of pizza anymore”.

feeling
out of guilt
and impotence

The boys from Aurélie Micouleau and John Delpech developed what scientists call hemolytic-uremic syndromes (HUS), which particularly affect young children.
Between medical appointments, weighed down by guilt and helplessness, the couple, who also have a 12-year-old daughter, have been living for two months. “Like a zombie”.
First, there was the five-year-old.Younger than “Begins to have stomach ache, vomiting, and diarrhoea”remembers O’Reilly. “simple stomach”First, the family doctor responds. A few days later, the child was taken to the emergency room.
There, we did not understand what was happening to us. We are told about dialysis, kidney disease, that it can spread to the heart, lungs, and brain, and that there will be lifelong sequelae.”Young mother continues at home. Vital diagnosis at this time is engaged and the boy is put on dialysis.
when you wake up, He was crying, he was screaming, Mom, stop hurting me ».
Fresh shock, in the process, when their ten-year-old son is hospitalized with the same symptoms.
The boys are now back home. But the kidney damage is irreversible, asserts John, who has discontinued his business: No doctor can tell us whether their condition will deteriorate in a month or twenty years. »
On March 18, Nestlé announced the recall of Petuni Pizza from its Bedding Up range, after being informed of the presence of bacteria in the product’s dough. This pizza, distributed in 23 countries, corresponds to the one purchased by the couple.
In France, 53 cases have now been confirmed according to the latest point from Public Health France. Investigations are still ongoing with 26 others. Two children have died, although the link to the pizza has not been confirmed.
On March 22, an investigation was opened into manslaughter, deception and endangerment of the lives of others at the Public Health Center of the Public Prosecutor’s Office in Paris.
In early April, the northern governor banned pizza production at the Buitoni factory in Caudry, near Cambrai. Its inspections “Highlighted the deterioration in the level of food hygiene control”.
“I expect justice to do its job. Let’s take a look at why we came up with this, why they took so long to shut down the factory. They are still big groups, I don’t see how we can accept having factories in this state”John Delpech, is indignant, deplores ‘The race for profit at all costs’.
“Buitoni, in its willingness to cooperate and respect the suffering of families, continues to search for all possible origins of this bacteria”After the couple’s criticisms and questions, a Buitoni spokesperson responded on Friday: “This situation is unbearable for us as children.”
The couple are determined to, along with their lawyers and other families involved “Go to the end criminally”Whatever compensation he might receive: money “I will not return with all my children”thinks Aurelie Miccolo.
“I took that pizza out of the freezer, baked it, and I still see myself giving it to them at the table.”She regrets: “Our role is to protect them, and I could not protect my children from a piece of pizza.”

Milestones Four children contracted Escherichia coli in the Center Val-de-Loire in March, according to French Public Health. A young girl has been placed in an artificial coma at Clocheville Hospital in Tours, after hemolytic and uremic syndrome (HUS).

Leave a Comment